Kaitlin Duck Sherwood
ducky at webfoot.com
Canadian Mailing address: 157-2906 W. Broadway, Vancouver, BC V6K 2G8
Canadian mobile phone: 604/376-9690
U.S. Citizen, Canadian Permanent Resident
Consulting which leverages my skills in mapping, particularly expertise
in generating map tiles and cartograms.
- APIs: Google Maps API, Leaflet, Eclipse, gd, Shapelib, GWT
For these projects, learned how
to use ScapeToad, GRASS, qgis, R, PostGIS, ffmpeg, Leaflet, and OSM stack
(Mapnick, generate_tiles.py, osm2pgsql). Transformed and loaded
data from US Census Bureau, Bureau of Labor Statistics, OSM, the American Human
Development Project, and others.
Developed and optimized
algorithms for adjusting points to follow shape-based cargogram.
- Developing video showing seasonally-adjusted US unemployment by county
by mounth for past 22 years on population-based cartogram.
- Developing cartographic map of gun deaths in the three months
since Sandy Hook. Went through hundreds of news articles to get street
addresses for shooting locations to get accurate latitude/longitude
8/2012-11/2013: Volunteer for Obama For Wisconsin
- Developed maps to support campaign activities.
- Until January: half-time tech support lead on track to become manager, half-time whatever needed doing, including writing manuals, delivering training, and
doing voice-over for videos.
- After January: code development for SpringSource Tool Suite under contract for third-party.
3/2010-7/2011: Atimi Software Inc.
- Lead developer for Postmedia's ten iPad newspaper applications (e.g.
Ottawa Citizen). Nine of the ten apps reached the top ten in free
Canadian applications category;
Vancouver Sun reached #1.
- Lead developer for Food
Network Canada's iPhone application. App reached #2 in the free Canadian
applications category, and #1 in the free Canadian Lifestyle applications
- Developed fast and flexible maps framework for mapping applications
with a very large number of points and/or polygons.
high-quality mapping applications with thousands of polygons with millions
of vertices, including
- Performed due diligence on several local startups for private investor.
- Volunteered for Obama For America, doing data cleansing on geographic data.
- Performed several contracts in GIS-based market research and
programmer productivity, supervised by
- Modified Eclipse to allow Web-style tabbing behaviour and evaluated with user study for
MS thesis Path Exploration during Code Navigation.
- Developed Eclipse plug-in
a tool for locating features using differential code coverage,
and evaluated with user study.
- Coursework in Computer-Supported Collaborative Work (C#),
Information Visualization (C++), Algorithms, Aspect-Oriented Programming (AspectJ),
Programming Languages (Scheme), and Parallel Algorithms (C/MPI).
Course projects included:
- Other technical:
5/06-8/06: Summer intern, Google
- Programmer on Google Maps team (C++).
- Took five classes at Stanford to prepare for entering grad school in the
fall: Object-Oriented Programming (Java), Operating Systems (C), Compilers (C++),
Probability, and Logic.
- Developed stronger ties with the open source developer community by improving
12/98-2/03: Book Author, Publisher, and Trainer
- Wrote two books on
how to overcome email overload -- one for Eudora users and one for
Microsoft Outlook users. Interviewed many people on their email habits.
Incorporated feedback on the text from more than 130 people around the world.
Both books have five-star Amazon ratings and
- Published books. Designed and laid out books, oversaw manufacturing,
and built distribution channel. Negotiated all contracts.
- Developed media kit and publicity campaign. Gained
in many media outlets, including the Wall Street Journal,
New York Times, LA Times, Chicago Tribune,
San Jose Mercury News, Information Week, All Things Considered, KDKA, KNX, KCBS, and KOMO.
- Wrote approximately twenty articles on email effectiveness for magazines,
newsletters, and e-zines.
- Developed and presented email effectiveness training to military,
educational, and corporate clients.
6/98-12/98: Domestic Organization Lead
Note: Interval spun out this home media integration project into
a separate company, Avio Digital,
which was then purchased by Centillium.
Project included proprietary home media network, a "tablet" controller/Internet
appliance, and a digital media storage device.
- Project lead for five-hour, 100-person event. Researched options,
negotiated with stakeholders, jointly selected vendors, and oversaw
- Investigated culture, flora, and fauna, language, history, and architecture
of several southeast Asian countries. Obtained
in negotiating a hazardous environment. Documented
- Facilities management project lead for small condominium complex.
Researched options, negotiated with stakeholders, jointly selected
vendors, and oversaw logistics for landscaping, pest control, and roofing.
- Taught self
Squeak, a Smalltalk dialect.
- Developed basic GUIs for integrated email/address book application,
camcorder and VCR control, and telephony simulation.
- Implemented and/or expanded code for Internet
and serial protocols, including HTTP, SMTP, POP3,
VISCA (Sony's consumer devices bus) and X10 (home automation protocol).
- Improved speed and page layout of Web browser software.
- Interpreted register-level hardware specs to co-develop demo
controlling radio, CD player, and TV using MediaWire.
- Wrote "straw man" specs for telephony products' register-level interface.
- Performed "soft QA": discovered, analyzed, and reported numerous bugs
in code I depended on. Frequently suggested exact fixes to code
1/96-6/96: Web Development Contractor
- Developed database-driven Web site using Access and Cold Fusion
for Enterprise Integration Technologies (bought by Verifone).
- Wrote server-side macro expansion code for pseudo-HTML
for Tribune Corporation,
- Developed registration scripts and web-based tutorial for
TriQuest Design Automation.
of the UIUC campus via 800+ still photos and intuitive
- Developed navigational system
which included five zoom levels of maps/floorplans. Users could find
of a room or the location
of a building via simple, regular URLs. (This was also linked to the virtual walkthrough.)
- Developed wheelchair access information.
(Winner of the university-wide Harold Scharper Service Award.)
- Converted Programs of Study (university information, including graduation requirements) to HTML.
- Developed prototype of hypertext versions of
Courses Catalog and Timetable
with rich cross-linking between the the two.
- Developed and maintained university-level Web pages.
- Evangelized the Web; helped academic units create Web sites.
Enterprise Integration Technologies (bought by Veriphone), Menlo Park, CA
- Wrote what may have been the first
email-to-Web gateway (like Hotmail or Yahoo mail) with
CGI scripts (in Perl and Python).
- Contributed to access control scripts.
- Developed original versions of
General Engineering department,
College of Engineering, and
- Parsed text of the UIUC engineering class
highly cross-linked HTML documents. (Scripts were subsequently modified
to work for all University classes.)
- Performed system administration for
Illinois Genetic Algorithms Laboratory's four RS/6000s.
- Wrote and augmented numerous Perl, awk, sed, and csh scripts and C programs
to improve usability of design automation tools, including software to present
simpler user interfaces, translate between vendor formats, queue jobs,
and improve readability of output.
- Worked closely with a variety of clients to analyze circuit timing
of approximately thirty chips and five CPU and memory boards.
2/88-3/90: Arix Corporation, San Jose, CA
Promoted up through four jobs in two years:
- Founded Electronic Design Automation group: Evaluated, purchased,
and installed hardware and software, then simulated dual-processor
68040 board. Wrote Verilog behavioral models for memory board, arbiter, and
several glue parts. Wrote netlist translator in C.
- Project lead of Integration group: Turned chronically troublesome
area into smoothly functioning organization. Supervised two engineers
and one clerk. Offered my choice of three different management jobs afterwards.
- UNIX utilities programmer: ported, upgraded, and maintained System
V.3 utilities. Required ability to read and comprehend a wide variety
of coding styles, quickly determine the cause of the bug, fix, and
- UNIX software test engineer: Tested UNIX OS and utilities, NFS, RFS,
and several third-party applications. Assisted customer with NFS in
France in French.
2/87- 1/88: Quad Design Technology, Inc. Camarillo, CA
Co-founder of startup which merged profitably with
Viewlogic in 1993.
Joined before company's two-year anniversary.
- Original author and illustrator of majority of documentation for MOTIVE,
a static timing analyzer.
- Wrote majority of timing models
- Assisted in customer benchmarks and support.
- Developed wafer tracking / engineering data collection system for
fab using IBM PCs and commercial relational database package.
- Developed bi-level metallization.
- Developed sputtered silicon anti-reflective coating for DRAM process.
- Interfaced residual gas analyzer to HP microcomputer over RS-232 interface.
- Responsible for equipment uptime. Supervised 7 technicians.
- Developed a technique for gas carbo-nitriding of high-carbon steel
- Reorganized and maintained laboratory facilities
- Wrote simulation of two-phase decarburization of steel (in Pascal on Apple II)
- Calibrated an oxide furnace
- Drew blueprints, soldered boards, wired cables for zero-gravity boiling experiment
in spacesuit design lab
- Coach of UBC's 2008 International
Collegiate Programming Competition team. UBC teams took first, second, and tenth place at the regionals; UBC's first team tied for 23rd at the world
- President of the
Green College Resident
- Active involvement in
securing the right for same-sex couples to marry in California, 1999-2005.
- Approximately 200 hours of management training classes from
Intel internal courses, Leadership Midpeninsula, and a UIUC course.
As part of UIUC MS, took U.S. Intellectual Property Law class and
a business case study class.
- Forest Homes Association (condo board/strata council)
My TV hosting work has made me a better interviewer, which is useful in
extracting needs from customers. My TV production work has prepared me for
creating video tutorials. My various production work means that I am
completely at ease speaking to the press, should that be needed.
- Co-producer of community access TV show Parents, Families, and
Friends. Host for more than thirty episodes; have also
been director, floor director, technical director, and camera operator.
- Associate producer/host for ten episodes of community access TV show
Tech Heroes. Also floor director, tape operator, timer,
lighting op, camera op, teleprompter op, and floor director in
- Chorus (alto) in 1999
West Bay Opera production of
- Followspot operator in 1998
West Bay Opera production of
Italian Girl in
- Stage crew for 1998
West Bay Opera production of
Turn of the
- Audio board for 1999 world premiere at
Opera San José of
Tale of the Nutcracker
Last updated 30 Jan 2011